The Security Challenge of Disruptive Technologies
- technological development, disruptive technologies, national security, Republic of Croatia
Dynamic changes that characterize the modern security environment have been significantly driven and shaped by the rapid pace of technological development. Of particular importance is the emergence and development of technologies that revolutionary change the character of the security environment - disruptive technologies.
The paper analyzes disruptive technologies aimed at the automation, acceleration and autonomy of the data processing process, decision-making abilities, and actions independent of human factor. These technologies affect all spheres of social life and subsequently security.
Unlike previous disruptive technologies that influence security driven by the states and their defense sectors, the recent technologies are predominantly developing in private sector. This fact leads the countries to dependency on the private sector, and face them with significant challenges in identifying threats, its content and possible responses. Technologically less developed countries are particularly vulnerable.
Based on the hypothesis of how disruptive technologies influence the design of security environments, an analysis of strategic security documents of Croatia, the USA, Russia, China, NATO, EU, and the states from the Croatian neighborhood has been conducted to determine if these countries recognize disruptive technologies as a security threat and how they approach them.
The research has shown that Croatia does not recognize disruptive technologies as a specific threat. The analysis also indicates that, in the case of technologically less developed countries, such as the case of Croatia, security communities such as the EU or NATO provide a platform for responding to those threats.
- Bidwell C. A. JD & MacDonald B. W. (2018) Emerging Disruptive Technologies and Theri Potential Threat to Strategic Stability and National Security, FAS
- Bracken, P. (2019) Technological innovation, national security, ETH Zurich, Center for Security Studies, Retrieved from http://www.css.ethz.ch/en/services/digital-library/articles/article.html/88467/pdf (19.7.2019.)
- Car S. (2015.) Značaj nanotehnologije za gospodarstvo, Polytechnic and design, Vol. 3 No. 1, 2015. Tehničko veleučilište u Zagrebu, str. 66-73
- CNN, Putin and Musk are right: Whoever masters AI will run the world, September 5, 2017, Retrieved from https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/05/opinions/russia-weaponize-ai-opinion-9allen/index.html (19.7.2019.)
- CNN, UK Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson fired over Huawei leak, May 1, 2019, Retrieved from https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/01/uk/defense-secretary-fired-huawei-leak-gbr-intl/index.html (19.7.2019.)
- European Commision (2018) Communication from the Commission to the European parliament, the European council, the Council, the European economic and social committee and the Committee of the regions, Artificial Intelligence for Europe, Brussels, 25.4.2018 COM(2018) 237 final
- European Union (2003) European Security Strategy, A Secure Europe in a Better World Brussels, 12 December 2003. Retrieved from https://www.cvce.eu/content/publication/2004/10/11/1df262f2-260c-486f-b414-dbf8dc112b6b/publishable_en.pdf (19.7.2019.)
- European Union (2016) Global Strategy for the European Unions Foreign and Security Po-licy- Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe, Bruxelles. Retrieved from https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/eugs_review_web_0.pdf (19.7.2019.)
- Forbes (2019a) China’s Grand Strategy, Jan 14, Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielaraya/2019/01/14/chinas-grand-strategy/#7d18dc961f18 (14.7.2019.)
- Forbes (2019b) The Largest Technology Companies In 2019: Apple Reigns As Smartphones Slip And Cloud Services Thrive May 15, Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2019/05/15/worlds-largest-tech-companies-2019/#7691c708734f (14.7.2019.)
- Hrvatski sabor (2017) Strategija nacionalne sigurnosti Republike Hrvatske, NN 73/2017. Retrieved from https://www.uvns.hr/UserDocsImages/dokumenti/nacionalna-sigurnost/Strategija%20nacionalne%20sigurnosti%20RH.pdf (14.7.2019.)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Hungary (2012.) Hungary’s national security strategy, Budapest. Retrieved from
- https://2010-2014.kormany.hu/download/4/32/b0000/National%20Security%20Strategy.pdf (28.7.2019.)
- Mitchell II S. T. (2009.) Identifying Disruptive Technologies Facing the United States in Next 20 Years, West Point, Kansas
- NATO (2010.) Strategic Concept - Active Engagement, Modern Defence, Bruxelles. Retrieved from https://www.nato.int/lisbon2010/strategic-concept-2010-eng.pdf (28.7.2019.)
- NATO (2018a) Strategic Concepts, 12 Jun. 2018. Retrieved from https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_56626.htm (28.7.2019.)
- NATO (2018b) NATO Industry Forum, Berlin November 12-13, Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/Disruptive%20technology/NATO%20DT%20super.pdf (28.7.2019.)
- NATO (2019) NATO Science and Technology Organization. Retrieved from https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_88745.htm (28.7.2019.)
- PR China State Council (2017a) Next Generation Artificial Intelligence Development Plan, China Science and Technology Newsletter, Department of International Cooperation Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), P.R.China, No.17, September, 15 2017.
- PR China National People’s Congress (2017b) National Intelligence Law of the People’s Republic, National People’s Congres, June 27, 2017.
- Russian Federation President (2015) Russian Federation’s National Security Strategy, 31 December 2015. Retrieved from https://www.ieee.es/Galerias/fichero/OtrasPublicaciones/Internacional/2016/Russian-National-Security-Strategy-31Dec2015.pdf (28.7.2019.)
- Republika Srbija (2009.) Strategija nacionalne bezbednosti Republike Srbije, Beograd. Retrieved from http://www.mod.gov.rs/multimedia/file/staticki_sadrzaj/dokumenta/strategije/Strategija%20nacionalne%20bezbednosti%20Republike%20Srbije.pdf (28.7.2019.)
- South China Morning Post (2018) Develop and control: Xi Jinping urges China to use artificial intelligence in race for tech future, 31 Oct, 2018.
- Tatalović, S. i Malnar, D. (2016) New Security Paradigm and Crisis Management, Sarajevo Social Science Review, Godište V, Broj 1-2, Fakultet političkih nauka, Sarajevo, 2016. str. 53-70.
- The World Bank (2019). Military expenditure (current USD), Retrieved from
- https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.CD uvid 14.7.2019. (14.7.2019.)
- Vlada Republike Hrvatske (2016.a) Program vlade Republike Hrvatske za mandat 2016 - 2020, Zagreb. Retrieved from
- https://vlada.gov.hr/UserDocsImages/ZPPI/Dokumenti%20Vlada/Program_Vlada_RH_2016_2020.pdf (14.7.2019.)
- Vlada Republike Hrvatske (2016b) Strategija pametne specijalizacije Republike Hrvatske za razdoblje od 2016. do 2020. godine i akcijski plan za provedbu Strategije pametne specijalizacije Republike Hrvatske za razdoblje od 2016. do 2017. godine, Retrieved from https://www.mingo.hr/page/vlada-usvojila-strategiju-pametne-specijalizacije-rh-za-razdoblje-2016-2020 (14.7.2019.)
- Vlada Republike Slovenije (2019.) Resoulucija i strategiji nacionalne varnosti Republike Slovenije, Ljubljana. Retrieved from https://imss.dz-rs.si/imis/557792390bcd5987fd14.pdf (19.7.2019.)
- VOA, US Warns Germany a Huawei Deal Could Hurt Intelligence Sharing, March 12, 2019, Retrieved from https://www.voa.news.com/europe/us-warns-germany-huawei-deal-could-hurt-intelligence-sharing (19.7.2019.)
- White House (2017) National Security Strategy of the United States of America, December 2017.